A few weeks ago, fellow etsian June Shin blogged about some new jewelry she had created, and this necklace (called “Sway”) caught my eye:
I told her that if she ever made this piece in silver, she should let me know… Shortly after, she did just that, then we did a fun little swap, and I gave the silver Sway to my dear sis as a belated birthday gift (scroll down to see how it went over).
I also asked June how she’d feel about being next in the hotseat for one of my Lightning Rounds, and she kindly agreed. And so [sound of eggtimer ticking]…
1. What is it about jewelry-making specifically that drew you in?
Honestly, I’m not sure why I chose jewelry, but I wanted to take up a hobby to do outside of work. I figured making jewelry would be fun, so I signed up for classes and really enjoyed it. So it kind of just went from there.
2. Wallflower or first-to-the-dance-floor?
Hmm, I’m a Gemini, so a bit of both. I’m quiet around people I don’t know, but love to dance, so I will be one of the first on the floor, as long as the music is good.
3. You’re from NYC, and are now in Atlanta. How’d that happen and how do they compare?
I moved for a boy. NYC definitely has a lot more energy and diversity, and I love all the options available to me there. Atlanta is smaller so a lot of times, I will run into people I know at random places, which is kind of nice. I’ve met a lot of small business owners here, and they’re all very helpful. I feel like it would’ve been harder for me to start a jewelry business in NYC.
4. Ideal lazy Sunday?
Laying out by the pool and reading a good fluff book.
5. You work part-time at a yarn store and you knit — any plans to sell knitted stuffs?
I doubt it. The turn around time for each item is just so long, that I don’t think it would be sustainable for me.
6. Who or what is your muse?
I get inspired by my materials: the charms and stones.
7. You used to be a high-tech computer consultant… Would you ever go back?
Never say never. I would, depending on the job and the company.
8. Early riser or night owl?
I used to be a night owl, but have conformed to my husband’s schedule of rising early. But when I’m home alone, I go to bed late.
9. What is your kryptonite?
I think it has to be sugar.
10. You love shoes. If you could only own three pairs, which would they be and why?
Why would I only be allowed to own 3 pairs??? I think that would be hell and will pretend that this question was never asked.
11. What was the first concert you ever went to?
Erasure at Jones Beach, Long Island.
12. Chocolate or vanilla?
13. What are you most proud of right now?
Being a business owner doing something creative. It’s something that I never thought I’d do.
14. Happiest kid memory?
One I can think of is the summer where my cousins and I would ride our bicycles all around town and to the mall. We would also find creative ways to entertain ourselves.
15. Who would you thank if you won an Oscar?
Mom, Dad, Husband, family, friends, and whoever gave me my shot at becoming an actor!
16. Congrats on your recent wedding! Can you give us a brief intro to your new hubby?
Thanks! Gene is a Korean guy who grew up in a small town in Tennessee. I didn’t even know there were Asians in Tennessee. Now, he is a business analyst by day and a cook/food blogger by night. He loves food and cooking, so I am a lucky gal.
17. If you had the time, what’s something you’d work at improving or learning?
I’d like to improve my Korean and continue taking metalsmithing classes.
19. What do you like best and least about being your own boss?
Not having a set schedule is both the best and the worst since I like being able to run errands and go shopping whenever I want, but also, I am a procrastinator and work better with deadlines.
20. Finish this sentence: “I am…”
Ah, my kinda girl! Really though, I find myself mesmerized by June’s shop — and this coming from a girl who doesn’t even wear jewelry or have pierced ears! Absolutely gorgeous stuff.
See and find out more about June and her stunning work via…
And as for how the birthday gift went over with my sis? It was a hit! Thanks to John for taking this shot:
Thanks for dropping by, and if you know of another great candidate for the hotseat, please suggest away!