• Design
  • dad
  • Contact
header
Home > good peeps > Lightning Round with Melonie from Higashi Design

Lightning Round with Melonie from Higashi Design

September 16th, 2009

Melonie and I will be at the Capital Clothing Show THIS WEEKEND at the Carleton University Fieldhouse.
We are sharing Booth #303. Drop by, say hello and enter our joint giveaway!
Friday the 18th from 5 – 9 / Saturday the 19th from 10 – 5 / Sunday the 20th from 10 – 4

————-

The backstory
In general, I don’t wear jewelry. But last year, while vending
at a holiday show across the aisle from a certain Melonie Higashi, I couldn’t peel my eyes off a necklace she’d designed and that can be worn in over a dozen different ways (see Question #14). By the end of the weekend, I bought the necklace; for a girl who doesn’t do bling (never even had my ears pierced), this was a big deal. Since then, Melonie and I have become buddies — in fact, we are vending in a shared spot this weekend at the Capital Clothing Show. And so, isn’t it fitting that I introduce you now to my sweet and talented booth-mate?

1. You’ve done a lot of different things… can you list a sampling of what you’ve studied and/or done as jobs?
Hmmm… I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Concordia Uni. I also have a Bachelor of Industrial Design from Carleton Uni with a minor in business. I have worked retail, worked on flight simulators for major airlines, supported movie special effects software, worked as a marketing services rep, modelled and did commercials, taught piano, was a concert and wedding piano player, did web design, data entry, some construction work, worked at a publishing company, and was a trampoline coach… oh, and I must not forget my gig as a door-to-door sales person.

2. How did you land on jewelry-making as a full-time gig?
It found me. I bought a piece of jewelry at Heathrow airport and I received many compliments. It was an intricate piece and I wanted to figure out how to make it. So I went to a bead store found a few supplies and reproduced it. I gave those first pieces away as gifts. Then I started experimenting and exploring with different materials until the hobby grew into the business. After having previously worked in large companies, I decided to veer away from the corporate life and learn how to run my own business. It is definitely not an easy life but it is fulfilling.

3. Ideal lazy Sunday?
Sleeping in, cooking up a nice brunch, then going for a long run on the beach and watching the sunset.

4. Your Dad was a national Karate grand champion in the 60’s… how (if at all) did this influence or affect you?
In high school, I was known as the girl who had a ninja father who crawled on the ceilings (not true) and had samurai swords (unfortunately true)… so basically my social life was affected.

5. Early riser or night owl?
A night owl. So much so, I sometimes end up running into the early risers.

6. You’re a fellow Ottawan… what’s your favourite thing about living here?
The great people I have met.

7. Who would you thank if you won an Oscar?
I would thank the Academy for having a sense of humour.

8. Can you explain how you might come up with a new idea for a jewelry piece?
Colour and texture usually drive my jewelry ideas.

9. What is your kryptonite?
Pizza from Naples, Italy.

10. Dream job and dream location?
Travel photographer exploring the world.

11. You like to trampoline; why?
I love the sensation and I have been bouncing since I was young; plus, it is a great way to get exercise without feeling like you are exercising.

12. Got any party tricks?
It is quite possible but none of which I am aware.

13. How do you motivate yourself when you aren’t in the mood to work on jewelry?
Looming bills are a great motivator. Another good motivator is learning new techniques, which opens up new design possibilities.

14. What’s your best selling item?
The multifunctional leaf necklace is my best selling item.  It is sterling silver and can be worn in as many as 16 different ways including a bracelet.  The leaves are real leaves which have been dipped in sterling silver. It’s a great piece for travelling because it has so many different looks and is so versatile. [pictured below: two necklace options, and bracelet variation]

15. What was the first concert you ever went to?
Depeche Mode

16. What are you most proud of right now?
I designed a flash card system for blind and sighted children so that they could play and learn together. It was for an international design competition and somehow I managed to win.

17. If you had the time, what’s something you’d work at improving or learning?
Time management

18. Wallflower or first-to-the-dance-floor?
It depends entirely on the music.

19. What has been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned from being your own boss?
You can’t do everything on your own.

20. Finish this sentence: “I am…”
…happy.

You can understand why I find Mel so fascinating; the fact that she makes jewelry I want to wear is just icing on the cake.

Ottawa-folk, if you want to come to the show, feel free to download this voucher to get $2 off admission (good for the whole weekend); just print out the JPG once it’s downloaded and present it at the door.

Keep your eyes peeled for Mel’s new-fangled sign:

That’s right — we actually both got organized enough to get vinyl signs done up, complete with grommets. Just one of many reasons I’m so stoked for a terrific weekend.

Hope to see you there!

good peeps , , , ,

1. August 3rd, 2020 at 08:17 | #1

Hello! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will
    forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Thank you for sharing!

2. August 13th, 2020 at 11:44 | #2
  3. August 15th, 2020 at 13:44 | #3

There are countless of people that are searhing for profitable sport betting picks
    everyday and a few of them lose cash and a few ones win money.
    There is nothing better when you might be watch the Kentucky Derby and
    the horse you bet on is neck and neck around the final turn. Regression analysis might be
    reasonably accurate but obviously cannot take into consideration unforeseen future events like an accident to
    a major player.

4. August 17th, 2020 at 07:22 | #4

Greate post. Keep posting such kind of info on your page. I am really impressed by your blog.

5. August 19th, 2020 at 04:37 | #5

I like looking through a post that will make men and women think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

6. August 19th, 2020 at 05:49 | #6

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been tto this blog before but after checking througth somee of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!

7. August 24th, 2020 at 08:54 | #7

It’s actually very complex in this active life to listen nes
    on TV, thus I only use web for that purpose, and get the most recent news.

8. August 29th, 2020 at 17:19 | #8

This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
    A must read post!

9. September 3rd, 2020 at 16:57 | #9

The one type of digital marketing technique is SEO.

10. September 5th, 2020 at 13:32 | #10

Good way of explaining, and nice paragraph to gget information regarding my presentattion focus, which i am going to present in academy.

11. September 13th, 2020 at 22:20 | #11

Hey there! Do youu use Twitter?I’d like to follow you if thatt would be okay.
    I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forwzrd to new posts.

12. September 18th, 2020 at 08:56 | #12

I leave a response each time I like a article on a website or iif
    I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation. It is a
    result of the firte displayed in the article I read.
    And after this article m oon the side » Lightning
    Round with Melonie from Higashi Design. I was excitesd
    enough to drop a thought :) I actually do have a couple of questions ffor you iif you do not mind.
    Could it bbe only me or does it appear like some oof the comments appar like left
    by bbrain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at
    additional online sites, I would like to keep up with you.

Could you make a list every one of your communal pages like your linkedin profile,
    Facebook page or twitter feed?

13. September 19th, 2020 at 22:30 | #13

It’s hard to come by educated people in this particular subject, but you seem like
    you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

14. September 19th, 2020 at 22:47 | #14

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my web
    site thus i got here to return the prefer?.I am trying to in finding
    things to improve my web site!I guess its ok to use some of
    your ideas!!

15. September 29th, 2020 at 09:34 | #15

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity on your put up is simply excellent and i could think you’re
    an expert on this subject. Well together with your permission let me
    to clutch your feed to stay up to date with imminent post.
    Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

16. September 29th, 2020 at 21:59 | #16

Hello everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this website, and article is actually
    fruitful in support of me, keep up posting such content.

17. October 2nd, 2020 at 11:50 | #17

Thanks for sharing such a good opinion, article is pleasant, thats why i have read it entirely

18. October 3rd, 2020 at 09:31 | #18

After I originally commented I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me from that
    service? Appreciate it!

19. October 6th, 2020 at 16:23 | #19

Awesome post.

Comment pages
  1. September 22nd, 2009 at 00:16 | #1
  2. August 22nd, 2018 at 15:18 | #2
  3. May 28th, 2020 at 14:49 | #3
  4. August 7th, 2020 at 06:16 | #4
  5. August 8th, 2020 at 02:21 | #5
  6. August 16th, 2020 at 06:49 | #6
  7. August 18th, 2020 at 19:10 | #7
© 2010 Emily Chen Design & Illustration. All Rights Reserved.