• Design
  • dad
  • Contact
header
Home > general rambling > Wakefield jaunt

Wakefield jaunt

March 12th, 2010

Just half an hour away from Ottawa is the sweet town of Wakefield, Québec. I’ve been to many a live show there at the Black Sheep Inn. The town is also known for, among other things, its steam train ride, the spa, and the fact that Canada’s 14th Prime Minister — Lester B. Pearson — is buried there. It also happens to be a beautiful spot, so John and I took a day trip there a couple of weeks ago.

Our first stop was at Chez Éric, one of many terrific restaurants in town. I had the burger, John had the mushroom risotto… and we both loved our meals — highly recommended (and very kid-friendly, for those with kiddos).

And then a walk around the area.

The melting ice on the water looked like fabric at some points, with puckers and ripples…
but the chunks above actually remind me of cake, with all the layers.

The lovely covered bridge.

And then John taking photos of said bridge. Anything for art!

In the summer, you can swim, canoe or kayak in the river. In the fall, the colours of the leaves light up the place. In the winter, you can x-country ski, snowshoe or do a dogsled run. And year-round, there are plenty of places to check out:

• Catch a show and have some delicious eats at Kaffé 1870
  • Super tasty pizza at Cheezy Luigi’s (try the Magic Mushroom *drool*)
  • Try some tasty spatzle at The Alpengruss
  • And I keep hearing about a newish resto called Le Hiboux… it comes highly recommended by many

Ok, I realize this is sounding like a tourism post. Really though, I just enjoy the town a lot, and since it’s somewhere we tend to visit, I wanted to give it a little shout-out.

For anyone who’s been to Wakefield, have I missed any must-try restaurants or must-sees?

general rambling , , , , , , , ,

1. Danielle
    March 12th, 2010 at 10:23 | #1

I highly recommend Le Hiboux for brunch. The only issue with going there is that you’ll be hooked and want to go back to try the menu items you missed the first time!

2. March 12th, 2010 at 12:33 | #2

we spent our first anniversary in Wakefield! It’s so nice there. Great post Em!

3. March 12th, 2010 at 13:01 | #3

We did the Steam Train tour. I remember there being a yummy bakery that everyone was lining up for when we made our stop.

4. Samantula
    March 14th, 2010 at 11:16 | #4

fun!! you two are so cute!

I’ve been to wakefield a few times.. there is a fun horse-riding farm just outside of wakefield – called captiva farms. they do tours, an hour long, and you ride up a cliff to see a beautiful views of the countryside. its lovely!
    Also, wakefield is home to the highest bungee jump place in canada! its in the quarry (spelling?) and its terrifying.

5. March 16th, 2010 at 22:43 | #5

If you get the chance, try Soupcon – it’s owned by a former chef of the Manx in Ottawa. It’s our favourite stop before a night at the blacksheep.

6. March 17th, 2010 at 07:14 | #6

Also check out Pipolinka – a fantastic bakery. The Honey-Almond Crescents are fantastic (don’t know why I’m telling you because I hate it when they run out) and the breads delicious. Worth a trip by it’s self.

7. March 17th, 2010 at 17:26 | #7

I would suggest making one stop on the way to Wakefield and that’s at the Chelsea Smokehouse: http://www.chelseasmokehouse.com/home. Fabulous smoked fish and seafood! I see they now have a restaurant too…

8. March 19th, 2010 at 08:13 | #8

Ooooh, okay, I’m convinced: I must try Le Hiboux.

Thanks for all the other recommendations, everyone! And yes, I’ve been to Pipolinka Bakery, I believe… they have a to-die-for pecan pie :P

9. December 12th, 2013 at 15:41 | #9

I don’t know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your blog.
    It looks like some of the written text on your content are running off the screen.
    Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening
    to them too? This might be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Many thanks

10. June 3rd, 2019 at 17:48 | #17

mehmetbilir.info

11. August 30th, 2019 at 22:27 | #18

We absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to
    be just what I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers
    to write content for you? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or
    elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write with
    regards to here. Again, awesome web log!

12. June 8th, 2020 at 21:36 | #19

bamboo shopper leather tote large white gucci acqua di fiori gucci bamboo grey leather ladies boots size 7 40c authentic puma 76126801 men black ferrari polo t shirt best price in puma mens watches uk watches store suede platform core sneaker giro helmy na kolo e shop sport adidas nazouvaky HUACAN Oil Painting By Numbers Scenery Acrylic Drawing Canvas Wall Art DIY Tree Picture Home Decor Gift arreglos florales peque帽os de rosas organic hair care products raqueta babolat pure control audiomusica controlador midi campana extractora encimera precio
    褞斜泻邪 写谢褟 芯褎懈褋邪 屑芯写邪 斜谢芯谐 http://www.jagratadesh.com/markville_clyattville/%d1%8e%d0%b1%d0%ba%d0%b0-%d0%b4%d0%bb%d1%8f-%d0%be%d1%84%d0%b8%d1%81%d0%b0-%d0%bc%d0%be%d0%b4%d0%b0-%d0%b1%d0%bb%d0%be%d0%b3

13. June 8th, 2020 at 21:37 | #20

access headwear sun styles francis ladies cloch style hat from wal mart usa quanhaigou reflective snapback cool flat bill brim youth visor hat grey dad caps for men women adjustable baseball cap cheap magda butrym lagos floral silk minidress blue women 1191277 how to find the perfect toe shape for your cowboy boots beau hudson beanie lot on twitter penny 1 one cent jet black air high quality sad boy crying face very casual beanies for men women fashion knitted winter hat hip hop skullies cap hats in mens what are the hats that jews wear 2019 marche vintage womens sheepskin hat made in italy dyed tuscan lambs fur HOMFUN Diamond Painting Cross Stitch Baby hand 5D DIY Diamond Embroidery Full Square round Rhinestone Of Picture A20104 Ceramic Beef Platter Household Breakfast Plate Simple And Creative European Vegetables Platter With Gold Edge Tableware 褉械泄褌懈薪谐 泻薪懈谐 写谢褟 写械褌械泄 泻褍锌懈褌褜 泻芯谢褜械 薪邪 谢械褋泻械 褋 褎懈邪薪懈褌芯屑 懈胁邪薪芯胁褋泻懈泄 褌褉懈泻芯褌邪卸 斜芯谢褜褕懈褏 褉邪蟹屑械褉芯胁 胁 褉芯蟹薪懈褑褍 谢械褌薪懈泄 谢械谐泻懈泄 褟褉泻懈泄 屑邪泻褋懈 褋邪褉邪褎邪薪 quechua boty converse gym shoes d谩msk茅 kabelky tamaris
    泻褉邪褋薪邪褟 褞斜泻邪 锌芯谢褍褋芯谢薪褑械 褋 褎懈泻褋懈褉芯胁邪薪薪褘屑 蟹邪锌邪褏芯屑 懈 斜邪薪褌芯屑 http://www.hjmcpcb.com/garneill_indrio/%d0%ba%d1%80%d0%b0%d1%81%d0%bd%d0%b0%d1%8f-%d1%8e%d0%b1%d0%ba%d0%b0-%d0%bf%d0%be%d0%bb%d1%83%d1%81%d0%be%d0%bb%d0%bd%d1%86%d0%b5-%d1%81-%d1%84%d0%b8%d0%ba%d1%81%d0%b8%d1%80%d0%be%d0%b2%d0%b0%d0%bd%d0%bd%d1%8b%d0%bc-%d0%b7%d0%b0%d0%bf%d0%b0%d1%85%d0%be%d0%bc-%d0%b8-%d0%b1%d0%b0%d0%bd%d1%82%d0%be%d0%bc

14. August 29th, 2020 at 14:08 | #21
  15. June 1st, 2021 at 14:15 | #22

I’m no longer sure the place you’re getting your information, but great
    topic. I must spend a while studying more or figuring
    out more. Thank you for excellent info I used to be searching for this info
    for my mission.

16. October 9th, 2021 at 22:08 | #23

Hi to every , because I am really eager of
    reading this web site’s post to be updated
    regularly. It carries good material.

17. January 24th, 2022 at 13:26 | #24

Если не хватает денег то можете выбрать быстрый займ онлайн тут: https://кредит-онлайн.com.ua/

18. May 25th, 2022 at 22:30 | #25

I am actually happy to read this web site posts which contains lots
    of valuable information, thanks for providing these
    kinds of statistics.

19. June 6th, 2022 at 14:00 | #26

Hi, this weekend is good designed for me, as this moment i am reading
    this wonderful educational piece of writing here at
    my house.

20. June 22nd, 2022 at 18:04 | #27

hello!,I really like your writing so much! share we be in contact extra approximately your post on AOL?

I need a specialist in this space to resolve my
    problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look ahead
    to look you.

1. No trackbacks yet.
© 2010 Emily Chen Design & Illustration. All Rights Reserved.