• Design
  • Illustration
  • M Chen Wears
  • M on the side
  • dad
  • Contact
header
Home > in the memory bank, music > What was your first cd? (Lemme know, win a whack of cards…)

What was your first cd? (Lemme know, win a whack of cards…)

February 26th, 2009

[March 15, 2009 — Just picked a winner from the 67 entries on this blog and on facebook... and the online random number generator chose #13: Megan MacDonald! Congrats!!!!]

I bought a couple of cd’s at the Jill Barber show I went to last Friday, and my first inclination was to rip them to my computer. Times like this, I wonder when cds might become obsolete. It amazes me that, within this generation, we’ve seen 8-tracks, 45’s and LPs, cassettes, cds, iPods and mp3’s…

Right when cds were becoming more readily available was when I started becoming a bit of a music fanatic. The first cd I ever owned was Sinéad O’Connors’ I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got. It was 1990, and I was in grade 9. I got it from my cousin Ed for my 15th birthday.

I played the Sinéad cd relentlessly. I remember defending her spastic dance moves to Jesse, the newspaper boy. I saw her perform at the Ex that summer. I was somewhat obsessed with the Nothing Compares 2 U video. Black Boys on Mopeds is still one of my favourite songs…

I was wondering if everyone has such nostalgia about their first cd. So I asked “What was the first cd you owned?” to my Twitter friends, and here are some of the answers I got back:

notrachel — “ever? dang, the first NSYNC CD…can’t believe i just admitted that”

pomomama — “Big Country, Greatest Hits”

Jim Bryson — “I bought The Pursuit of Happiness’ Love Junk and Steve Earle’s Copperhead Road the day I bought my 1st player at the Bay. Hehehe.

jessrawk — “Barstool Prophets’ Deflowered.”

jessgonacha — “Mariah Carey Christmas. I kid you not.”

Canadian_Shield — “I bought [Led Zeppelin's] Houses of the Holy, [The Doors'] Soft Parade, and Harry Chapin — I bought them at the same time – Sunrise Records in Eaton Centre”

geekigirl — “I think it was the Prince Batman soundtrack.”

[As an aside, John takes the cake for Most Obscure Answer. His first cd was "The Answer's Electric" by Brett Ryan. Uh... what?]

Question for you: What was the first cd YOU owned?
************************************************************************************
Leave a comment before March 15th, and I’ll send a handful of my greeting cards to one of you. It may be a draw, or I might just choose the answer that makes me grin the most. (Make sure to leave an email address where I can reach you, svp!)

in the memory bank, music , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. February 26th, 2009 at 23:58 | #1

sweet! i love the Sinead O’Conner song – i believe the video was captured in one take and the tears were spontaneous and totally unscripted

2. February 27th, 2009 at 00:23 | #2

I was 18, it was 1989, and on the same day I bought my 5-cd carousel player for my new place I also bought 10 cd’s; I can only remember one of them: Tin Machine. Remember them? Ah youth.

3. February 27th, 2009 at 00:35 | #3

oh dear, i think the first cd I purchased was Garth Brooks!

4. February 27th, 2009 at 02:00 | #4

Nirvana: Nevermind. 1991, I was 8 years old and a total rocker! I remember I got given $20 of birthday money and that’s what I bought :) I still have it, though it’s almost unplayable now!

5. February 27th, 2009 at 04:04 | #5

Ahh..I remember it well..Eric B and Rakim’s ‘Paid in Full’ – in a special leather-effect plastic sleeve that wouldn’t fit in any CD rack I’ve ever owned…I suspect it’s still tucked away in a box in the loft somewhere…:)

6. Danielle
    February 27th, 2009 at 08:13 | #6

The year 1997 – my mom allowed my sister and I the chance to order one CD each from Columbia House. My pick – Floored by Sugar Ray. When the CDs arrived my sister promptly stated that the explicit lyrics weren’t appropriate for me (at my age) and insisted that my mom make us trade CDs to avoid me learning a bad word or two. I was required to trade – and thus my first CD I ever owned was Tubthumper by Chumbawaba…I got knocked down…but got up again and have since owned many a CD with explicit lyrics. Take that sis! Please note that the same year I purchased my very first Hanson CD…

7. February 27th, 2009 at 08:31 | #7

Ah,the memories! My first CD was the soundtrack to the movie “Singles.” SOOOOO 90s! I must have been in 7th or 8th grade.

8. Megan
    February 27th, 2009 at 08:31 | #8

Smashing Pumpkins “Siamese Dream.” Speaking of which, I need to dig that out – I love that album!!

9. February 27th, 2009 at 10:43 | #9

My first CD was Jamie Walters – Jamie Walters. Because I was OBSESSED with 90210 and I got a boombox for Christmas one year and my parents didn’t know what CD to get me to go with it. They knew I would love Jamie Walters because he was on the show! Hahaha.

10. February 27th, 2009 at 10:49 | #10

I bought two at the same time: “So” from Peter Gabriel, and the first Van Halen album. 1987 or 88 maybe. I had just bought my girlfriend’s old “portable” CD player from her (she had just bought a fancy Sony home unit), and we went CD shopping to celebrate. I grabbed the last copy of “So” just before she got to the “G” section, and she was momentarily a little mad about that. She could’ve talked me into giving it to her, but she felt bad for me that she had such a nice new CD player and all I had was her junky hand-me-down. I still have both those CDs…

11. February 27th, 2009 at 11:01 | #11

HAHAHAHAHA ~ mine was the first Nsync cd too!!! i was in grade 6 or 8, when i was NOT that into music. my cousin got it for me, and i had never heard of them before. developed a crush on timberlake… :P

12. LTP
    February 27th, 2009 at 12:23 | #12

Xmas 1992 rolled around and my mom bought me my first CD player and my first CD – Enigma’s MCMXC A.D. I think that may give John’s “Most Obscure” title a run for its money. An even more interesting question would be “what was your first tape?” (Debbie Gibson – Out of the Blue and Tiffany’s self-titled album – one word for both: AWE-SOME)

13. MegMac
    February 27th, 2009 at 15:13 | #13

Ah – “Nothing Compares to you” – now that brings back many, many memories!!!Still love that song and cassette tape, never got it on CD:) But my first CD was ‘C&C music Factory’. My Parents got me my first CD player after Grade 9 and bought me ‘The Tragically Hip – Road Apples’ (still one of my faves) on cassette, go figure… So that’s when I went out and got C&C at Place D’Orleans..

14. Kate
    February 27th, 2009 at 16:31 | #14

I had to wrack my brain…but unfortunately I came up with the answer…the soundtrack to “The Bodyguard”…it was a Christmas gift and my stepdad had copied it onto tape for me so that I could listen to it on my Walkman while on vacation….good old 1992.

15. Dee
    February 27th, 2009 at 19:39 | #15

That Sinead video brought back memories and gave me goosebumps at the same time. My first CD? Probably Enya’s Watermark. The song Orinoco Flow was unlike anything I had heard before.
    The first CD I heard? I believe it was U2’s The Joshua Tree – my brother nearly wore out his copy.
    (who remembers that when CDs first came on the market they were touted as indestructible – Drive your car over it! You can’t scratch it!)

16. February 28th, 2009 at 08:10 | #16

The soundtrack to Ghost. I had recently seen the movie and loved it so much that even though I didn’t have a cd player yet I bought the cd… I think it was late in ‘90 or early in ‘91. I still have the cd and listen to it occasionally :)

17. February 28th, 2009 at 11:28 | #17

Oh, dude. The first CD I ever owned was New Kids on the Block, both albums. I think I might have gotten them as a present. I still can’t believe my mother indulged such a bad choice in music. :)

18. February 28th, 2009 at 14:15 | #18

Great post : ) I can’t remember which was my first CD : / It’s a toss up between Lords of Acid and Smashing Pumpkins.

19. March 1st, 2009 at 20:14 | #19

I got my first CD player in 1995 and proceeded to go to the cd store on Boxing Day to buy a CD with my christmas money. No Doubt’s Tragic Kingdom, wow did I listen to that over and over and over again. The oldest CD that I have ever owned though was some Smurfs’ cd that came out in 1990 and was super heavy. Very funny. :)

Cheers!

20. March 1st, 2009 at 22:44 | #20

Ah, the memories…
    I was a CD virgin until that oh-so-special day when I bought AC/DC’s Razor’s Edge. My mother did not approve.

21. March 2nd, 2009 at 22:54 | #21

That’s a tough one. It was either the Violent Femme’s first album (yes, I still call them albums) or The Cult’s Sonic Temple. I bought myself a ghetto blaster with a CD player when I was 17 or 18, when I’d saved up enough money from working at Tim Horton’s to buy it. It also had dual cassette decks so I could dub tapes. And boy, did I. But more memorable for me is my first vinyl record: Culture Club’s Colour by Numbers, for my 10th birthday. I was stoked.

22. March 4th, 2009 at 15:19 | #22

Okay, I can’t remember my first cd, but I do remember my first album. Does that count? It was the Bee Gees, Main Course. Jive talkin’…

This was closely followed by Heart, Dog and Butterfly and Led Zeppelin IV.

Good times…

23. March 4th, 2009 at 18:42 | #23

I’m pretty sure my first CD was Savage Garden’s “Truly, Madly, Deeply.” It’s still a good album!

24. March 4th, 2009 at 18:59 | #24

Mine was Paula Abdul’s cd single Opposites Attract. yikes! I was 8 years old at the time ;) No shame!

25. March 6th, 2009 at 15:01 | #25

I bought 3 cds when I got my first CD player-
    Smashing Pumpkins- Melancholy & the Infinite Sadness
    No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom
    Jars of Clay- Flood (single)

Ah, grunge, how I miss you.

26. freelantz
    March 6th, 2009 at 15:06 | #26

First CD I ever had was Motley Crue, “Dr. Feelgood” (given as a gift, not by choice). The first I bought was Faith No More, “The Real Thing”. That’s still my favorite album of all time.

27. March 6th, 2009 at 15:11 | #27

Expose! I didn’t even know what CDs were until I brought it home. They had just come out.

28. Shannon Kelly
    March 6th, 2009 at 15:18 | #28

How Shannon of an answer is this? My first CD was “Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch” I *think it was called Good Vibrations, and I *think it’s still in a box in my parents basement. I rock! :)

29. Riva
    March 11th, 2009 at 12:34 | #29

The first CD I ever purchased? There were three…it was an introductory offer with BMG (remember them?!): Good Weird Feeling by The Odds, Soup by Blind Melon, and Relish by Joan Osborne. My best friend, Gillian, and I played all three several times over while covering the wall of my bedroom with the names of the boys we liked (written in permanent marker, which my parents, thankfully, didn’t mind, even though it took my Dad three coats of actual shellac to cover it).

Congrats on the OBJ cover! Vogue Magazine, move over! ;-)

30. Liz
    March 11th, 2009 at 12:35 | #30

That would either be Midnight Oil’s Diesel and Dust, or Bryan Adam’s Into the Fire. Possibly both at the same time. Dad got our family a cd player around 86/87, just can’t remember exactly when.

31. Sarah
    March 11th, 2009 at 12:37 | #31

Hanson – Middle of Nowhere. A gift for my 8th birthday. Yee-yuh.

32. March 11th, 2009 at 12:38 | #32

Well if we’re talking CDs here it’s less embarassing than my first cassette (remember them kids?!).

It was ‘Levelling the Land’ by the Levellers and I still listen to it today, albeit with my terribly middle class Em-Pee-Trois player.

33. March 11th, 2009 at 12:39 | #33

“The Sign”, Ace of Base. I bought it used at a garage sale in 1996. Its definitely still in a CD rack at my parents’.

34. Jonathan Markiewicz
    March 11th, 2009 at 12:48 | #34

I was late in the game when it came to technology… so my first CD was Radiohead OK Computer… The day it was released. Since then I have repurchased it 3 times due to loss, scratches, etc… Love that album!

35. Jen
    March 11th, 2009 at 12:53 | #35

Mmmm, I’m not 100% sure but it was likely Paula Abdul or some other dance album…

36. Jack Webb
    March 11th, 2009 at 12:58 | #36

The Jerry Garcia Band
    “How Sweet it is”

37. March 11th, 2009 at 13:17 | #37

my first cd was the reality bites soundtrack, no too terribly shameful, but could of been a hell of a lot cooler.

38. March 11th, 2009 at 13:21 | #38

Oh, my I’d have to say that it was ‘Some Great Reward’ by Depeche Mode, but I could be wrong. I do remember mowing many a lawn to buy that CD player…

39. March 11th, 2009 at 13:22 | #39

*sheepish* Dido – White Flag

40. March 11th, 2009 at 13:34 | #40

i bought 4 cds at once + small cd boombox during my first ever cd purchase – I saved up a long time for it and I was 12. My purchases: 311’s self titled cd, No Doubt’s “Tragic Kingdom”, A Presidents of the United States single, and Mariah Carey’s “Daydream” (this one makes me giggle).

41. lindsay
    March 11th, 2009 at 14:01 | #41

Hanson – Middle of Nowhere, and it came with a shiny new RCA getto blaster. siiick.

42. NancyJoyce
    March 11th, 2009 at 14:21 | #42

I think my first disc was The Tragically Hip “Up to Here”. I still cannot get tired of that CD.

43. March 11th, 2009 at 14:36 | #43

First CD was INXS kick… First Cassette was RATT’s Out of the Cellar, first LP was Def Leppard’s Pyromania. Feelin old there M, feelin old. :)

44. March 11th, 2009 at 15:45 | #44

OMG John had Brett Ryan’s CD! I can’t remember what my first CD was. But I think the first LP I bought was either Styx “Paradise Theatre” or Rush “Moving pictures” or “Get the Knack”.

45. MC
    March 11th, 2009 at 17:33 | #45

Ok, now I feel rather like an oldie… My first vinyl (‘33 tours’) was Senor Météo by Patrick Zabbé. You will kill yourself laughing if you ever hear it. Of course, I would not call it a classic for any other reason than how funny it is to think that that was a hit in Qc way back when. Of course, I had my own lipsinging version that I repeated over and over to my parents in our living room in Chicoutimi. We’re talking early to mid 70’s here!! But it was MY 33 tours! ;)

46. Susanna
    March 11th, 2009 at 17:50 | #46

ha, i believe that my sisters finally got me a Columbia House subscription because it was already 1995ish and I didn’t own any CDs. I believe the first 12 included The Chieftans’s greatest hits, Tracy Chapman, Leonard Cohen’s The Future, The Violent Femmes, Joni Mitchell’s greatest hits, The Police (also greatest hits)… a lot of greatest hits. my first TAPE was WHAM, and I bought it at the jeans store where I bought my first ever jean jacket… but that’s a whole other question.

47. Linda
    March 11th, 2009 at 18:02 | #47

Linda :Crap! I can’t remember my first cd. I think it was a compilation album of local (Ottawa-ish) artists, but I’ll be danged if I can remember what it was called. My first cassette tape was REO Speedwagon : )

Wait! I found it! It was called Plug: http://nl.barcodepedia.com/000416009826/plug-new-music-from-ottawa.

48. Samantula
    March 12th, 2009 at 10:06 | #48

ha! i *think* it was Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt. I used to own TONS of casette tapes, but that was my first CD!! ooooh!

49. Shelley
    March 12th, 2009 at 12:02 | #49

The Best of Carly Simon. Seriously. I was 12, and my parents got both my brother and I stereos with CD players that Christmas. He got U2, and I got Carly Simon… I was so pissed off!

50. March 14th, 2009 at 11:42 | #50

my first CD was U2’s Achtung Baby. somehow I feel old now

Comment pages
  1. No trackbacks yet.
© 2010 Emily Chen Design & Illustration. All Rights Reserved.